Wednesday, November 10, 2010

When Pointing Fails...

This is about the time I tried to buy a cell phone and failed. Usually, some creative gesturing, a word or phrase, and, of course, patience get me things. Not this time. So, it marks a first: feeling helpless.

In Taiwan, a work permit or long-term visa is necessary to buy a scooter, get internet, or have a monthly cell phone plan. However, my go-to guy, the hostel owner, said it was possible to buy a pay-as-you-go phone without either.

Start time : 9:50am. 
I walked to the nearest Carrefour. Carrefour is the Walmart of South America, Asia, and Europe. Here, Carrefour sells everything ranging from produce to motorized scooters. In the electronics section, I pointed to a phone. Hurray, the phone was taken out of the display case and ready for purchase. Next step, I pointed to a phone card to buy minutes. Nothing. Little more gesturing: card plus phone, card and phone connecting, card and phone dancing. "Phone no work," said store clerk. I nodded my head and pointed to the card again. Nope, no card, just a head shake for no. Maybe this phone was only available with a plan. I didn't know and didn't want to buy a useless phone. I decided to go back to the hostel and research more.

I walked back to where I entered the store. Wrong; the entrance and exit are not juxtaposed or even close to each other. In order to exit, I had to walk through the entire store and three floors. I did, however, find a clerk who asked what I needed in Engrish. "Nothing," I said, "I tried to buy a phone, but wasn't able to." Next, the process repeated with more people around. I learned new stuff, though. Turns out, I needed a SIM card because these phones did not have them. I was given directions to a nearby store, Telnet, that would have them.

11:45am.
I exit Carrefour with only a six pack of tiny(330ml) cans of Coca-Cola and start walking to Telnet.


At Telnet, I got a little further. I point to a phone. Good. SIM card. Good. Next was paperwork. I filled in my name. Next is the identification. I pulled out my passport. Then, my drivers license as a second form. Again, standstill. I couldn't explain that I wanted a prepaid phone so didn't need an ARC or visa. I couldn't even buy Coca-Cola here. I just left.

12:25pm.
I felt defeated every single step I took while walking home on that uncomfortably humid day.

1:30pm. 
I explained to the hostel owner what happened. He volunteered to help me. I couldn't refuse. First, we went to get a SIM card. That was pretty involved and he had to explain my passport, why I didn't have visa, and that I didn't need a work permit for a prepaid phone. Next, we got a compatible phone.

All of this would have been impossible without a translator.

3:25 pm. 
I got a phone.

In the States, I feel competent and even resourceful. Feeling helpless is tough to grapple with.

Anyhow, I think I'm writing about this because in the future I'll feel frustrated learning Chinese. I want to remind future Tim that staying up late and learning new vocab and grammar, however frustrating, will indeed serve a larger purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment