Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Start 'em Young

I got to see a snapshot of socialization today - what a gem.

First, the background story: every day my class has a break-time used exclusively for drinking water. The kids all get their water bottles, sit on the blue line and drink water. Yes, simple enough, but during this brief time I usually say, "[Student's name], drink water," about ten to fifteen times.

Not today.

Today, one of the students said, "ganbei," and it was contagious. It was a loop: ganbei, tap water bottles, laugh incessantly, drink, repeat. I didn't have to remind anyone to drink more water.

Ganbei means cheers and it's mostly used for taking shots. Already, these kids, under five years old, have learned the procedure and consumption standards for drinking booze.

I hope that whomever propagated candy cigarettes got a fat bonus if they worked for big tobacco; fantastic insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment