Tuesday, November 16, 2010

DIY Bamboo Organizer

I needed a kitchen rack and couldn't find anything suitable. Bamboo is cheap and abundant so I decided to make one. I used duct tape, some twine, and a Leatherman multi tool.

Step 1. Cut all of the bamboo to size. Bamboo is hollow, so this was easily doable with a Leatherman.




 Step 2. Clean off the bamboo. The stalk on the left was fresh out of the plastic. The right was after cleaning. What a difference.

I think bamboo is a cool material because it has a lot of character. 


Step 3. Lash the vertical and horizontal posts together.


Step 4. Keep lashing.



Step 5. Add racks accordingly. I wanted the organizer to be utilitarian so the top rack doubles as a cutting board. I added S hooks to the hanging shelf so it can hold spatulas, tea strainers, etc.

I'm happy with the final product.

1 comment:

  1. next time i see this, it should be in ikea.... nice work

    ReplyDelete