Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bring Some Duct Tape

Lately, I have been Macgyvering some things around my new apartment and I'm reminded how useful duct tape is. It stops small leaks in plumbing, ripping and tearing in furniture, bug-proofs screens with holes, and reinforces all types of things. It even allowed me to build a bamboo kitchen organizer without investing in clamps. The kitchen organizer is wicked-cool looking and functional - thanks, duct tape. 

I always bring duct tape with me while doing any serious traveling and advise others do the same; it is well worth its storage space given its almost infinite utility.

I have used duct tape to:
fix rips and tears in rain gear, bug nets, and my backpack cover
tamper proof baggage
tape my camera to ad hoc tripods/trees/rocks/walls/etc
tape shirts or pillow cases to a curtainless window
tape over a drain to wash clothes
create makeshift bandages

All small potatoes, though, Mythbusters lifted a car with duct tape.

1 comment:

  1. So true! I can't explain how often duct tape has come in handy in our home...my kids resent it these days as they don't think it adds much to the aesthetic value of their belongings. But I maintain that it's fixed cameras, held drains in place til plumbers have finally shown up and generally helped us out big time! I also agree with its use as Tamper Proof Tape when travelling - it seems to work a treat in terms of keeping pesky theives at bay, they just don't seem to bother.

    ReplyDelete