Monday, November 15, 2010

What I'm Eating - Pigs' Feet

Someone recommended that I try pigs' feet. Here it is, with soup to the right:






















I liked the soup. It was light on the palate and had a really silky finish with just a hint of sweetness. Its smell actually reminded me of hay and there was no lipid layer. I guessed it was a plant based soup. Wrong-o. It was made from dehydrated Skipjack tuna. The tuna is dehydrated whole, thinly sliced, and then made into stock. The stock is consumed as soup or used to cook with. I had most all of the soup because I wasn't keen on the pigs' feet.

The feet were braised, and I can't imagine them being prepared another way because there is oh-so-much connective tissue, fat, and bone. Not that I particularly dislike any of those things - in the contrary, my favorite cut of steak is the bone-in ribeye - I just need a suitable ratio. Next, the skin had a chewy, waxy combination of a texture. Not in the slightest was there any delicious baconesque flavor. Contrary, think lard flavored jello. For me, this was a one-and-done.

No comments:

Post a Comment