Thursday, November 25, 2010

Kenting

I hadn't planned on traveling for a while but couldn't resist a study abroad reunion. I went to Kenting this past weekend to meet an old friend. Dramatic travel guide-like description: Kenting is marked by its idyllic coastal highway, a plethora of beaches, and as a surf and scuba mecca. (I think I nailed that.)

Firstly, it was great seeing an old friend after two years. Last time I saw this girl was in Buenos Aires, where nights out frequently enveloped breakfast. Generally, I will admit to being a touch apprehensive before a reunion. Often, I find it less than comfortable/enjoyable reuniting with friends past. More particularly, ones that don't meet expectations and leave me feeling nostalgic. Well, this weekend was a comfortable mix of catching up and catching sun. I mentioned it was great seeing her. It really was - her impress stands the test of time.

Also, I realized my luck having chosen to live in Donggang, situated between Kaohsiung and Kenting. It will be convenient for me to spend weekends surfing and scuba diving in Kenting. My friend had to take the high speed rail from Taipei to Kaohsiung. Then, a bus from Kaohsiung to Kenting. Altogether, about a four or five hour trip. For me, only a little longer than hour bus ride to white sand.

Shortly after arrival in Kenting, we rented scooters. The scooters made everything more accessible and were really fun to drive. I thought of them as more toy than transport, however, the scooters (90cc) easily reached speeds of 80-90 kph. I officially caught scooter fever.

On day one, we scootered to a scenic lighthouse right before sunset and spent some time hiking by the ocean. Later, dinner and drinks with a new friend from the hostel. This turned into more drinks. Then, walking around and more drinks and more friends. 'Twas a later night than expected but totally worth sleeping a few extra hours the next morning. (I can't resist a bro-out.)

Sunday, we scootered to another beach popular with surfers. I wasn't sure about trying surfing, but the cool dude from the previous night was there and offered free lessons. I couldn't pass up free pointers. I always imagine trying a new sport and just being a natural. That hasn't happened yet. Surfing is hard. "You look like a shipwreck out there," succinctly sums it up. Still, it's fun.

We left the surf beach and slowly scootered home, stopping along the way to check out landmarks, take pictures, and do some snorkeling.

Altogether, a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment