Sunday, December 5, 2010

Goddamn Proboscis!

The mosquitoes in the United States are larger, slower, and easier to swat.

Here, they are smaller, more nimble, and more strategic. Not certain, but I think the species is Anopheles minimus. They selectively bite ankles. It's very uncommon to be bitten anywhere else. Only the ankles and only for a fleeting moment. The instant I realize, "goddamn proboscis," the mosquito is gone, and I'm left without the satisfying recourse of a swat.

(Unrelated) I can't help but draw a parallel between these mosquitoes and why I was always really awful at playing Halo.

Additionally, mosquitoes in the genus Anopheles are malaria carriers. Fortunately, malaria has been curbed. Unfortunately, Aedes aegypti are also prevalent in the South and they spread Dengue fever. Not my cup 'o tea.

And here I was, worried about the Russell's Pit Viper.

No comments:

Post a Comment