Sunday, December 19, 2010

Engrish Christmas

My school had a Christmas performance. The students had been practicing music and dances throughout December. Last Friday was the big day. All of the parents came to the school to watch their kids perform.

Altogether, I thought Asian Christmas was hilarious.

Mostly, the costumes. No expense was spared and everyone had a costume. By costume, I don't mean ugly sweaters. There were Indians, pink tutus, a few different dashiki and kufi combinations, Uncle Sam penguin suits, and my favorite, the matador costume.

Of course, myself and the other foreign teachers were dressed as Santa Clause. We had to break character a few times because the costume was confusing and even scary for some of the kids. About halfway through the whole thing we changed out of the Santa costumes and into our Pope costumes. I was giddy the entire time, completely enjoying the well-intended sacrilege.

Anyhow, the rest is textbook. Little kids performing dances and music is really cute and funny. Adding costumes, a few crying kids, and Engrish to the mix made everything even cuter and funnier.

I forgot my camera, and now I'm really kicking myself. I'll try to get some photos from the school or parents. Hopefully I'll get them while it's still relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment