Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami Alert in Taiwan

An 8.8 magnitude earthquake hit Japan a few hours ago and subsequently triggered a tsumani that may hit Taiwan.

I'm comforted because I live in the West, although in a harbor city.

Still, here in Donggang, a warning just went over the loudspeakers instructing people to stay away from the beaches. Nobody really knows what to expect, exactly. My Taiwanese coworker said this is the first time a public warning was broadcast, here. Another coworker said it's expected, if at all, to reach Taiwan in about an hour ~5:30ish. My coworkers don't seem to be worried.

I'm currently at school and will be until 5:30. After, I'll scramble home to my fourth floor apartment and keep my eyes peeled.

(update: the warning is lifted. The waves that did hit Taiwan were just 12cm high.)

No comments:

Post a Comment